Wednesday, June 10, 2015

A/V & Computer

Thinking about getting a mid-range projection system off ebay. The cheap ones seem a bit dim. The expensive ones seem a bit .. expensive.
I already have a pretty decent computer, but it’s a power hog. I’m thinking about putting together a Single Board Computer based Network Attached Server. Something like a Raspberry Pi, which uses only a few watts. The Raspberry Pi doesn’t have multiple SATA ports though. I’m looking for either a SBC that has multiple SATA ports, or perhaps I could get one with USB 3.0 & a USB to SATA adapter for each drive. That’d do me for serving up movies & music. I have a 10″ tablet that I could do most of my web surfing on, too. Only using the PC when I only really have to would really cut back on my power needs.
I have an 8 bay rack mount case that sits under the case my PC actually lives in, which I plan to build this server in. I’m also considering going with water cooling. I have a heater unit out of a bus that I could mount under the trailer (where it’s cooler year round) that is more than big enough to cool the cpu, grahics card, PSU & drives.
After I move, I’ll probably be sol for decent high speed internet. What I’ve done in the past is: Unlimited cellular data plan. 3′ cellular antenna ($15-30, ebay). Wifi tether. The antenna brings a marginal connection, up to a pretty decent connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment